Grace and Joy

Grace is God's unmerited favor freely bestowed upon all of us. Because he has extended grace to me, I try to extend grace to others. Just as he has extended love and mercy to me, I try to do the same to other. As God fills me with his love for ohers, the more I can extend His Grace.

Joy is more than happiness. It is peace, contentment and a sense of God's blessing on one's life. Unlike happiness, Joy is not dependant on one's circumstances either. Joy is like effortlessly walking three feet up in the air.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

Teach me your ways, O Lord

Happy are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD. 

Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways. You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently.

O that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes! Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.


I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous ordinances. I will observe your statutes; do not utterly forsake me. Psalm 118:1 - 8 NRSV

This 8 verses talk about the blessing that is bestowed on those who live according to God's law. These are people who walk in his ways, who do no wrong, who show their love for God by obeying him, and who do this with their whole heart.

It is not easy to love God or do what we know he wants us to do with our whole hearts. One can know that s/he should be more loving to others, should follow the Ten Commandments, should not gossip, etc but other things capture one's interest.  Self interests, addictions, busyness of life get in one's way leaving good intentions swept away.

I love verse 33 which says "Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. (NIV)" I went through a period of time in which all I did throughout my day and days was say "teach me your ways God", meaning, I wanted to put his laws into my heart meaning that I would be naturally and instinctively doing what God wanted as opposed to memorizing some rules and then trying to apply the rules at the wrong time [see Live by the Spirit]. As I prayed this each day, was filled with his Spirit and came to recognize his Spirit's voice and guidance, his ways became natural for me and a joy to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment