Grace and Joy

Grace is God's unmerited favor freely bestowed upon all of us. Because he has extended grace to me, I try to extend grace to others. Just as he has extended love and mercy to me, I try to do the same to other. As God fills me with his love for ohers, the more I can extend His Grace.

Joy is more than happiness. It is peace, contentment and a sense of God's blessing on one's life. Unlike happiness, Joy is not dependant on one's circumstances either. Joy is like effortlessly walking three feet up in the air.



Friday, February 11, 2011

My soul is full of trouble...

O Lord, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before you.
May my prayer come before you; turn your ear to my cry.

For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like a man without strength.
... 
You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them.
I am confined and cannot escape; my eyes are dim with grief. [Ps 88 excerpts, NIV]

As far as I can remember this is the only psalm that does not end on a hopeful note. Personally, I am glad that this psalm exists. During the worst times of my life, it was the only prayer I could give and along with Ecclesiates was the only part of the bible that seemed to relate to what I was going through.

According to the Expositor's Commentary, true faith does not come from resigning one's self to whatever happens, but a real wrestling with God in prayer about our doubts and circumstances. And this is not a quiet, reverent prayer. Rather it is a cry of grief or dispair (BLB). In times of grief, it is healthier to be honest about one's feelings and grief rather than try to force happy, joyful feelings on one's self or on others.

I had a Christian friend once who had been taught one could only speak and pray reverently to God. Thus, when her world seemed to crumble before her, she wouldn't pray or talk to God about this because she didn't want to "sin" by telling God how angry she was with him. It was only after seeing this psalm and others of a similar nature that she understood that she could be honest with God, even if the only thing she could say was something negative.

God's shoulders are big enough to handle yours and my grief, anger and doubts. Feel free to give them to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment