Grace and Joy

Grace is God's unmerited favor freely bestowed upon all of us. Because he has extended grace to me, I try to extend grace to others. Just as he has extended love and mercy to me, I try to do the same to other. As God fills me with his love for ohers, the more I can extend His Grace.

Joy is more than happiness. It is peace, contentment and a sense of God's blessing on one's life. Unlike happiness, Joy is not dependant on one's circumstances either. Joy is like effortlessly walking three feet up in the air.



Friday, January 7, 2011

"Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."

Luke 5: 12 - 16
12 While he was in one of the cities, there came a man full of leprosy; and when he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and besought him, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."
13 And he stretched out his hand, and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him.
14 And he charged him to tell no one; but "go and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for your cleansing, as Moses commanded, for a proof to the people."
15 But so much the more the report went abroad concerning him; and great multitudes gathered to hear and to be healed of their infirmities.
16 But he withdrew to the wilderness and prayed.

"Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." This has been my prayer for healing for several years now. I have prayed this concerning chronic migraines for over a decade. I have done this along with regularly asking my pastor or any pastor to anoint me for healing. Over time I have been assured of God's healing and can already see a lot of progress.

This kind of regular praying comes from a desperate heart. Mine is not the only one desperate. The people in verse 15 were desperate as well so much so that they followed Jesus where ever he went. They wanted to hear him as well as be healed by him. The more desperate one is for God, the more one will do whatever it takes to be closer to him. A former pastor told about when his daughter was on the way to the hospital. As he was desperately praying for her, God told him to always remember this sense of desperation because that is how God wanted him to approach God. This attitude of desperation is what Matthew 5 refers to as "poor in spirit." These are people who have the attitude that says "I know that all that I have comes from God". This attitude is what helps to grow and deepen the relationship with God. The good news is that this attitude is blessed by God because he "rewards those who earnestly seek him (Hebrews 11:6)." One of the many rewards of earnestly seeking him is the reasurance of his presence. It can also be some sort of healing, spiritual growth, or seeing God in a new, fresh way.

1 comment: