Grace and Joy

Grace is God's unmerited favor freely bestowed upon all of us. Because he has extended grace to me, I try to extend grace to others. Just as he has extended love and mercy to me, I try to do the same to other. As God fills me with his love for ohers, the more I can extend His Grace.

Joy is more than happiness. It is peace, contentment and a sense of God's blessing on one's life. Unlike happiness, Joy is not dependant on one's circumstances either. Joy is like effortlessly walking three feet up in the air.



Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Acting consistently...

But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood self-condemned; for until certain people came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But after they came, he drew back and kept himself separate for fear of the circumcision faction. And the other Jews joined him in this hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not acting consistently with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, 'If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?' We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing. Galatians 2: 11- 21 (NRSV)

They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them. King Herod heard of it, for Jesus' name had become known. Some were saying, 'John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him.' But others said, 'It is Elijah.' And others said, 'It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.' But when Herod heard of it, he said, 'John, whom I beheaded, has been raised.' For Herod himself had sent men who arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison on account of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife, because Herod had married her. For John had been telling Herod, 'It is not lawful for you to have your brother's wife.' And Herodias had a grudge against him, and wanted to kill him. But she could not, for Herod feared John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he protected him. When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed; and yet he liked to listen to him. But an opportunity came when Herod on his birthday gave a banquet for his courtiers and officers and for the leaders of Galilee. When his daughter Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl, 'Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it.' And he solemnly swore to her, 'Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom.' She went out and said to her mother, 'What should I ask for?' She replied, 'The head of John the baptizer.' Immediately she rushed back to the king and requested, 'I want you to give me at once the head of John the Baptist on a platter.' The king was deeply grieved; yet out of regard for his oaths and for the guests, he did not want to refuse her. Immediately the king sent a soldier of the guard with orders to bring John's head. He went and beheaded him in the prison, brought his head on a platter, and gave it to the girl. Then the girl gave it to her mother. When his disciples heard about it, they came and took his body, and laid it in a tomb. Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church. Mark 6: 13- 29 (NRSV)

I was baptized as an infant. When I was in college, several of my friends renewed their faith and felt like celebrating it through being rebaptized. Not knowing a thing about the theology of baptism [once is enough], I still had an issue with it. I just didn't see the need to be rebaptized. But, I asked God for wisdom on the matter. His response was for me to live a consistent Christian life instead of being rebaptized. Both were actions showing one's faith, but anyone can be baptized *while it takes strength and reliance on God's Grace to be consistent in one's Christian walk. [* At least in North America where it doesn't have much negative repercussions.]

It does seem counterintuitive to say that being consistent is wonderful and a joyful thing when it might get one killed [or some other form of persecution], but there is joy in knowing one is in the center of God's will. God also gives the joy of his presence, grace and Spirit to encourage one to live consistently and as a 'reward' for consistent Christlike living. This then will have ripple effects as others around one are strengthened, encouraged and drawn to a deeper walk with Christ themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment